The existence of plant ecosystems is vital to the continuation of wildlife and human ecosystems. From their importance in the external world as a food source to the purification they provide our internal worlds as houseplants, all kinds of greenery are to thank for sustaining life as we know it.
Plants as Food and Medicine
We’ve all been lectured on the health benefits of consuming nutrient-rich plants like vegetables – especially homegrown, organic produce. Herbs such as echinacea and chamomile have claimed their place for decades as home remedies to anything from infections to stress to digestive issues. It’s also worth noting that cannabis is becoming a more recognized medical treatment for complications such as seizures and chronic pain.
Plants as Earth’s Sustaining Force
Just some of the ways that plants benefit the inhabitants of Earth include:
- Provide habitats and fosters biodiversity within ecosystems
- Serve as food sources to wildlife and humans
- Release oxygen into the atmosphere while absorbing harmful carbon dioxide
- Purify air by removing toxins indoors
- Regulate the water cycle through circulating water from soil to atmosphere and stabilizing bodies of water
- Increase human productivity, healing, and energy and reduce stress and anxiety
Under the Sea
Let’s not forget about what grows among ocean-dwellers. Plant ecosystems like coral reefs offer food sources, provide a habitat for important fish species, and protect coastlines from erosion and storm damage. Not to mention – did you know plants from the ocean supply most of the air we breathe?
Did you know?
- Forests contain 80% of the Earth’s terrestrial ecosystems.
- Plants and their soil remove volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as benzene and formaldehyde, from the air of indoor environments.
- Plants release about 97% of the water they absorb back into the air.
- Hospital patients with plants in their rooms experience less stress, request less pain medication, show lower blood pressure, and are released sooner.
Best Toxin-Removing Plants
- Bamboo palm
- Ficus (fig tree)
- Rubber plant
- Snake plant
At Jobe’s Organics, we realize how integral all types of plants are to the well-being of the environment – along with everyone in it. Our full line of natural soils and fertilizers help set up gardeners for success in growing healthy, thriving plants and crops. When you choose Jobe’s as your gardening sidekick, you discover how We Grow Better Things.