Vitamin D is an important nutrient that helps you maintain strong bones. In addition to dietary supplements and food – which are important sources – the body manufactures it when skin is directly exposed to the sun. Most people meet some of their Vitamin D needs this way as they go about their day.
While the sun is vital to your body’s vitamin D production, there is a harmful side effect of getting too much sun exposure: the increased risk of skin cancer that comes from being outside without sunscreen may not be worth it.
Staying Safe in the Sun: The Danger of Too Much Vitamin D
Direct exposure to sunlight allows your body to produce vitamin D on its own. But too much exposure to the sun can have unfortunate side effects. Learn how to protect yourself from getting too much sun.
What is Vitamin D?
Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium. In addition, it helps your muscles move, nerves carry messages, and your immune system as it fights off bacteria.
How Do I Get Vitamin D?
- Vitamin Supplements
- Direct Sun Exposure
Risks of Sun Exposure
- Staying out in the sun and getting a burn increases your risk of skin cancer2. Just 15 minutes of sun exposure is enough to damage your skin!
- Too much bright light can actually harm your eyes!
- Sun exposure can lead to heat stroke and sun poisoning!
Signs You’ve Been Out in the Sun Too Long
- Sunburn – Severe sunburns can even lead to sun poisoning and flu-like symptoms.
- Dehydration – Feeling thirsty? Drink lots of water to stay hydrated if you’re outside in the sun.
- Exhaustion – If you’re feeling really exhausted, you’ve been outside too long! Get inside!
How to Keep Yourself Safe in the Sun
Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that is rated at least SPF 30! This SPF blocks 97% of UV rays. Don’t forget about lip balm with a sunscreen, too!
Clothing and Hats
Wear loose-fitting clothing and a wide-brimmed hat to keep your head and body protected from the sun.
Sunglasses do a lot more than make you look cool – they help protect your eyes from the sun and glare while driving.
Jobe’s Sun Screen and Sun Sail Products
Our Sun Sail and Sun Screen fabrics block 90% of harmful UV rays and reduce the temperature up to 15°F.
Jobe’s: We Grow Better Things
The sun is great for our gardens, our planet, and our health (most of the time). But it’s important to be safe out there. When you need a little extra shade, use Jobe’s Organics Sun Sails and Sun Screen products to beat the heat, protect your skin, and enjoy the outdoors.